Friday 4 October 2013

I'm back!

I have been trying to log in to write a post, but Blogger kept asking me to text me a verification to my phone. I couldn't be bothered since it's not on the right number.... It's all worked out now though :) My last post was when we got Saoirse and we have now had her for over a month. Her character has certainy developed! For example she spies out the windows upstairs to watch people walking by and she likes having her face rubbed after a walk after we have used the halti (if you're not familiar with the halti it's a head collar which puts a little bit of pressure on the nose if she pulls). If you don't rub her face for her she will occasionally rub it on the rug or dive face first into the leather sofa :) We were lucky though and she's not shown any signs of anxiety or stress about coming into a new home with new people. There has been no chewing or peeing in the house. I have however noticed that she now has a habit of sneaking upstairs to sleep in our bed when we're not home and to be honest - I can forgive her for that ^^, Probably because it smells like us and she's not allowed on it when Rob's home. Sometimes she cuddles up to me when we're alone though - if I let her.

Having the two dogs we have had in this house (Bronson/"Piglet" and Saoirse) and both of them being breeds with not necessarily the best reputations - you certainly learn a lot about what people think about them. I hear a lot about this from the Dane group I'm a member of as well. People have a LOT of misconceptions about them! Some people, for example, don't think you're supposed to exercise Great Danes - and sadly I think this misconception is why a lot of young danes end up on sales websites online; people just don't realise how active they really are.

When we had Bronson and I would walk him around the neighbourhood people would cross the street when they saw us. Staffies just freak some people out because they expect them to be aggressive dogs which is just not true. Any dog can be aggressive if that's what you make it! Likewise, when I was walking Saoirse the other night we walked past two girls outside a house and they started following me down the road. After a few yards the younger one called out to me and when I turned around she asked me "Excuse me, does your dog attack?". She told me they have German Shepherds at home but still she must have had some sort of idea about Shepherds as potentially dangerous dogs. Saoirse is a complete sweetheart! I did tell the girls thugh that if I get scared she will more than likely protect me but if I'm happy she's happy. So they gave her a pat on the head and went on their way :)

This isn't exclusive to dogs either - we have huge misconceptions about people as well. We make assumptions every day about everyone we see. Sometimes it's one of those small things that makes life a little bit more beautiful - like seeing somebody waiting outside the arrivals gate at an airport and creating a story to yourself about why that person is there and for whom theyare waiting. But then there are the negative assumptions... I'm too tired to talk about them tonight though. It'll be your home work! I'll quiz you on it in the future. Promise!

Nighty night and sweet dreams <3
Saga xx

No comments:

Post a Comment