Thursday 27 June 2013

Pension

Just a quick little post before I more than likely fall asleep in this comfy bath and drown :) Yesterday we had a visitor in the office. The company is going through a merger at the moment to become part of what will be known as Jelf Insurance Partnership, so yesterday we had our first visitor from Jelf. It was a really nice guy called Jeff (Jeff from Jelf xD) who stopped by to talk about pensions and the different schemes Jelf offer.

In this country getting a pension from work is not guaranteed, you have, up until October this year, been able to opt out of it and have no work pension at all. What you did get was a state pension between £440-800 which is something, but definitelly no fortune. From October they are auto-enrolling employed people into work place pensions as well though. They do a like for like salary sacrifice thing here which means if I want to "sacrifice" 3% of my gross income to go into my pension, my employer will match that 3% to add. Some employers match up to 5%. So now it's time to choose!

I haven't properly looked into it yet... I need to decide what to do. Jeff said we need to choose what age we want to retire as well. Up until now women have received their state pension at 60 and men at 65, but by 2018 that will have been moved to 68 for both... Of course I could retire as soon as 55 and just live off my work place pension to 68, but it remains to see how well that will pay out ;)
In Sweden money is paid into our pension pretty much automatically. I'm so used to it being baked into a contract already all this feels very weird. I've just sat back and watched it grow the last years, but it will be interesting to have a closer look.

And now to focus on my bath.
Toodels!
Hugs
Saga

No comments:

Post a Comment