Sunday 2 June 2013

Elvaston Castle Great Dane walk

Today was a day I've been waiting for a couple of weeks now, since there was a post on the Great Dane facebook page about an Elvaston dane walk. Elvaston Castle is exactly what it sounds like - a castle, with a huge garden and grounds open to the public (for now at least. The council is contemplating renting it out to make it a hotel, making the major part of the gardens private - that sucks considering how many people were there today enoying a walk in the sunshine or a picnic). It's only in Derby, so about 20mins drive for us, which isn't bad. We metup with the group at 12-ish and went
for a walk. It's always nice meeting new people, especially as I "know" some of them from a Great Dane forum or thhe Facebook group. You sort of keep an eye on people and their dogs and what they are up to :) It's a wonderful little community with very friendly and helpful people. Walking around the grounds took us roughly two hours, with a stop for a snack at the castle café (through the gate in the second picture).


All in all I think there was a turnout of about 15-20 Danes. It was so much fun :) One of the men did get run over by an overexcited bitch though! He landed quite softly on his backpack, luckily! No harm done, all in good spirits :D

While one of the guys (I'm crap with names) went in to get something to eat for himself and the dogs me and Rob were made Honorary Dane Owners and got to hold his two dogs :D They were a fawn and a black bitch and sadly I didn't really catch their names... The fawn I was holding was so nice though. She kept a firm eye on daddywhile he was buying a snack :D The black bitch was quite young, so she was pulling on Rob a bit trying to catch everyting everybody was doing. Below are some more pictures of the grounds and the dogs :) As I'm not really that good at editing pictures in this programme I'm just going to leave them in the mess they are! Lol Hopefully you can enjoy them anyway!





 The pretty much almost white bitch is called Lily (The Menace) and the big harlequin male is called Edward. he may have been the largest Dane I've seen so far! Ever so gentle though. Calmest and most wellbehaved dog in the bunch I think :)











Anyway, I've got housework to do! (And then I'm taking a nap - I'm knackered!)
Huggles
Saga xx

No comments:

Post a Comment