Tuesday 11 December 2012

Christmas tree, oh, Christmas tree!

As I have said before I've been feeling a bit down as we had no Christmas decorations. Coupled with the fact that Britain doesn't get a proper winter that meant no Christmas spirit for me. Rob knew I was unhappy about it so yesterday he bought me a Christmas tree <3 He called me from work and told me to go get some tinsel for it ^^ It's only a small one, in plastic with fiber optic lights, but it meant so much to me that he got it for me so I would be happy.

I told him I will love him forever for that tree and if he ever stops loving me I'm going to ignore that and keep taking care of him until he gets Stockholm syndrome and starts loving me again. Of course he still has his freedom to leave - but only in theory ;)

Also, I made some Christmas fudge yesterday (I called it toffie, but Rob took one look at it and went "That's fudge"). I made 2/3 of the batter "normal" chocolate fudge and the last third I decided to try and make with Christmas spices. So I added a pinch of ground cloves, ground cinnamon and ground cardamom. I though it turned out great, but Rob thought it was a bit too rich for him. He loved the regular chocolate fudge though, so i sent the bag with him to work. Hope his collegues will enjoy it as well! I'm writing down the recipe for the fudge below ^^

Today I'm off to the indoor market to see if I can pick up a Christmas gift or two. I'm almost done with the gifts. My younger sister Luvan is really difficult to find something for though... Will have a poke around. But I should finish here I think, before this post gets too long!

Huggles to all <3
Saga xx


Recipe (that my sister Linda gave me) for the fudge:

3 dl     Double cream
3 dl     Caster sugar
1 dl     Golden syrup
2-3 tbsp Cocoa
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp   Vanilla sugar

Mix cream, sugar, syrup and cocoa in a wide non-stick sauce pan. Make sure the pan is big enough as this batter will rise a lot when it comes to the boil. Bring to the boil while stirring (if this batter burns it can stick like white on rice). If you (like me) have a pan that is slightly too small, be prepared to lift it off and place it on something cool once in a while to stop the batter spilling over... Just lifting it off the hob doesn't always help. Anyway, let boil for about 20-25 minutes while stirring. It should get thicker and "heavier" so it can't rise quite as well. When you can do the drop test/ball test successfully the batter is ready. To do the ball test you drop a little of the batter in cold water and fish it back out and try to make a ball from it with your fingers, when you can form a firm ball it's done. The looser the ball the looser the fudge! After the batter is done you remove it from the hob and add the butter and the vanilla sugar. Those are the ingredients that make the fudge a bit "brittle" rather than sticky. If you want proper toffie you just don't add the butter :) Should you want any other flavourings you add them now as well! When the butter and sugar are thoroughly mixed in you pour the batter into a form clad with baking paper so it doesn't stick and let it cool. It shouldn't be too thick as that might take very long to set. When it's set you cut it into pieces with a sharp knife! Voila! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment