Monday 17 December 2012

Finally finished :)

Today I got around to finishing our gingerbread house :) Took me about a week all in all, but I enjoyed it. It is certainly not the best looking gingerbread house I ever built but it's thefirst one I made from scratch! I'm proud of that slightly crooked, soft walled but immensely sweet little cottage.

When I decided to make my own I felt like it would be appropriate to make a traditional british stone cottage - it is my first Christmas living here after all! So I googled stone cottage and found this picture:


I thought it didn't look too advanced, so I wanted to give it a go. First thing I did was make a sketch of it and choose the measurements. To be honest, the proportions are way off and it ended up not really looking like the house in the picture, but I can forgive myself for that and put it down to lack of experience in the architecture and construction business!


After the dough had matured for a couple of days I cut out the pieces and baked them and yesterday we assembled it :) Rob gave me a hand with the roof ^^, Just when I thought things were going pretty smooth I realised two of the roof pieces were a bit too small xD Instead of calculating thehypothenuse I had just taken the measure for the width of the front wall and split it in half. Big mistake, but I patched it up nicely with Jelly Babies when I decorated it ;)



Piece on the right is a bit weird as I ran out
of dough and that was the last piece :P




Putting the roof on :D


I screwed up the blue print juuuust a little bit... Slight draft?

And so,  my work here is done! ;) It's kind of cute, even if it's a bit imperfect. Prectice makes perfect though, so I'll just have to make this a tradition ;) Make one each year and hopefully it'll get better and better. For next year I think I will use a different recipe for the dough though as this one ended up a bit too soft even after baking :P


I like to call this ingenious solution to the... slight draft... the "Jelly Baby Bridge" ;D


I doubt this house will survive for long though. We're going to be in Sweden for almost 2 weeks and I think it will go bad while we're gone so I will unleash the Kraken on it tonight :) (I meant Rob, but I guess I'm the Kraken out of the two of us since he calls me Squid when I come out from the shower with wet hair...)
Huggles all <3
Saga xx

3 comments:

  1. That looks so cool and very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beb :D It was very much enjoyed! Rob loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh the haunted house, exelent :)

    Pappa !!

    ReplyDelete