Wednesday 17 October 2012

Caramelized pecans

So, a while back the wonderful Ms Poppy said I should do a cooking show-esque blog about how to make cinnamon rolls. Well, I don't quite have the things I need for cinnamon rolls, but I did make caramelized pecans for Rob yesterday, so I thought I might share that with you for now :) It's really simple.

Caramelized pecans

This is not so much a recipe as an estimation and all numbers are approximate!

Ca 200-225g of Pecan nuts
3-5 tbsp Monin Caramel Syrup
1-2 tbsp Vahiné Caramel Saveur Vanille (optional)
1-2dl caster sugar

How much you use of each ingredient depends on how much caramel you want, from light coating to thick coating. If you find there's too much caramel for your taste when you're done you can just pour some off, as it's liquid when it's hot. Make sure the pecans don't come out with it! Do not - NOT - just pour it down the sink though as it might mess up your pipes when it hardens... It's better to pour it onto some aluminium foil and letting it set first and then just putting it in the trash.

This is how I do it:

You start out with pecans!

Is it just me or are these things little mini brains?
Chop them roughly, unless you want them whole, before you start heating the sugar (you don't want distractions when you're melting sugar) and put them to the side.

Before I started I put some tin foil on a chopping block, because that way I had something to pour the nuts onto when it's time they come out of the pan.

Ingredients! The Monin should be available online if you can't find it in-store (and I can't really seem to find it in stores in eother the UK or Sweden, I got mine in France :P). The darker caramel sauce was also purchased in France and I have no idea if the brand is available anywhere else... It tastes very much like the sauce you get on Crème Brûlée. And last sugar :)  

After I've chopped the nuts, put tin foil on the chopping block and got all my ingredients handy I start hating the sugar. It's going to take quite high heat to get it melting. Try to keep an even coat in the pan as it melts best that way.

Our cooker looks pretty old school I think... Don't use your best pan for this as you might have to scrub pretty hard to get the caramel out if it sets before you do te washing up..


I got carried away and stirred it a little bit too early and it clumped up on me... Most of them melted away, but there were one or two left at the end.


Once the sugar has melted I add the carame sauce (both kinds) and stirr well so it mixes, then I add in the pecans. Keep stirring them and turning them so you get an even coat and they don't burn! If  you find there's not enough caramel, you can add in a little more sugar and caramel sauce, as long as you keep stirring it should melt.

Well coated little buggars!
I let mine bubble away and reduce for about 5-7 minutes, but you could keep them on the heat for a few minutes more than that. When you reduce the contents liquid is evaporating and the less liquid is left in it the harder the caramel will get. Mine is not really soft, it's sort of sticky. The caramel bends a bit before it breaks but it's not so supple it doesn't retain it's shape, and that's where I want it as it won't break your teeth! ;D I'm guessing you're going to have to use some intuition on the time. You do not however want to touch the caramel. If a few drops spill out, please use a paper towel or a wash cloth to dry it up because melted sugar gets really really hot and it can cause some pretty painful burns. So be careful please <3


When you're happy with the caramel you simply pour the pecans onto the ready and waiting chopping block with tin foil on it and let it rest :) Spread it out to get an even layer. The thinner the layer the easier it is to break into pieces later.


I leave them for about an hour or two before I start breaking them into smaller, bite size pieces. After that they're ready to eat or to decorate whatever you might want them for! I used them to top the trifle I made Rob a few weeks ago. Worked out very well :)


They look pretty good, don't they? ;)

Now, I'm going to go get the washing up done....

Love you!
Saga xx

No comments:

Post a Comment