Friday 5 October 2012

Weekend abroad (yes, really)

We have been back home again after our short weekend abroad, in Scotland, for several days now. I intended to update the blog at the beginning of the week, but I just never came around to it, so, as Hanna would make me say: I'm sorry, I'm bad.

Anyway, the reason I say 'abroad' is because even if Scotland is a part of the Union, they are still a separate country (Whales is it's own country as well) - just try calling a Scot an Englishman and see what he thinks about the English... Believe me, I've done that.

We headed up to Glasgow on the Saturday to have a look around town before we checked into our hotel. There may have been some light shopping happening and I learned that the Scottish use pounds as well - but they look funny (funnier than the regular pounds even!). They sort of have their own currency! The coins are the same in both Brittish and Scottish pounds, but the notes are different. For example they have not one but two different £10 notes.




This is front and back of the two £10 notes, I would have taken pictures of the £20 as well, but we didn't have any on us at the moment.

Anyway: Monopoly money!



We also came across a band in kilts playing bagpipe and drums, probably promoting Big Peat Whisky as that's what it says on their drums. I though that was the name of the band, but I Googled it now when I uploaded the clip and alas, I was wrong. I'm no fan of Whisky, but have to say I have seen worse advertisements! I really enjoyed watching them play, and I wish I could have gotten a longer clip of them playing, but battery was running low on the camera...


 Some pictures from Glasgow :) Shopping! And no, I do not own a Rottweiler hat. Rob just wanted me to try it on so he could laugh at me!






Beneath is a landscape picture from when we drove through Cumbria <3 It's so beautiful! I really want to go riding there :) Also another picture of the street musicians!



Later in the afternoon/evening we checked into our hotel in Cumbernauld (outside Glasgow) and went for dinner. I'm not going to tell you about that though as I did write a blog post from the restaurant ;)

Sunday we went to Edinburgh! I wanted to go see the castle, so that's what we did. At first we had a stroll around the small shops just down  the hill from the castle though. They were so sweet! Most of them were souvenir shops, as can be expected in a town that gets that many tourists. Scotland has a lot of sheep. A lot. So many in fact that I deduced in the car on our way home that if sheep were to try and take over the world Scotland would be one of the top 5 countries to fall under sheep rule (along with Australia, New Zeeland, Whales and a fourth country - any ideas?). This however means they have a lot of wool as well, so there are heaps and heaps of woolen stuff you can buy as souvenirs. They have cashmere as well, which is so soft and so wonderful, but also more expensive. We bought a blue and green plaid blanket in wool for our sofa. It's wonderful <3 I love it :)

The castle itself was amazing. I love historic places and days out like that one. It did rain a little bit when we were walking up to the castle, but only for a short while. The wind though... At times it was so strong, rushing between the buildings, that I could barely walk straight! Dad would have loved to see this, I think, as I get my interest in history from him. So if you read this Dad, you should go visit Edinburgh :)




Pictures of the castle and the view from the walls! Nice weather = fantastic view!

Pictures from the military museum! Apparently the Scottish learned how to fight from the Swedes in the 1600's! One guy even wrote a handbook on how we trained our troops. (*Flex*) Also, they had some pretty freaky stuff on display. Tp the right gas masks from first and second world war. Wouldn't like to meet these guys in a dark alley...




Something that really touched the heart strings were the quotes from soldiers they had inscribed on the wall... So many sad quotes, but also some pretty uplifting ones.

"...I feel it my duty to write you this last message of love, which will only reach you in the event of my death. the fact is, we are on the eve of a great battle or advance, and with my platoon, I have been detailed to go to the furthest objective 3,500 yards from the trenches. I need to tell you what this means, you know well enough..." Second Lieutenant Wiliam Paterson, killed in action Nov 20th 1917



 "...I am in the best of health and spirits and am wearying for that parcel of chocolate and good things which I trust will arrive soon. Remember me to all my friends and if any wish to send anything, send chocolate and such things..." Gunner Henry McNab, Apr 30th 1915




Various pictures! One of them from the exhibit about amputations after injuries in war from ancient times to present. Also pictures from the castle prison (further down), used for military convicts all the way up until the first or second world war! Two of the pictures are of the tiny dog cemetary they had made. So cute and such a nice way to commemorate the mascots of the army.


 These are taken in one of the "modern" prison cells. Rob locked me in!! Read the excerpt from the law of Richard of England to the left. Being a criminal during the 1100-1200's wasn't easy!











Pictures from the exhibit of what the prison would have looked like ca 1600-1700 I think... Nice note on the rations about the Americans ;D

Rob's comment: "Two pints of beer every day!? It would have been happy days for me!"






Edinburgh is a bit... breezy, shall we say?





 The Great Hall! The roof is medieval, but the rest of the interior is Victorian, if I remember right. But just look at that roof! The craftsmanship that went into that is unbelievable!
Me and Rob with a view over Edinburgh <3

Thats all you get for now! Loads of pictures for you to look at :)
Till I can be bothered to blog again!
Love and huggles <3
Saga xx

No comments:

Post a Comment