Saturday 27 October 2012

Some people eat the strangest things

So, we didn't quite go to China town today but we did go to a Chinese/Asian supermarket called Wing Yip. There's four of them in the UK and one of those four is situated in Birmingham. So in the middle of an industrial estate there's a grocery store and a restaurant built in chinese type architecture with a huge gate over the entrance tothe car park. It looks nice :) At the moment they're rebuilding the store though, so it looked very much like a warehouse on the inside. They had loads of stuff though.

Some sounded more, or less for that matter, delicious than others. On the left, for example, they had a freezer full of pig uteri (uteri = livmoder, plural) which to me sounds like something I wouldn't even want next to my food, personally... Seriously, what do you make from pig uterus? Stew? They also had Essence of Chicken. Not just Chicken stock - oh no, it's so much more than that. It's captured the very essence, the very soul of the chicken! Ok, I'm not going to make fun of it - too much ;) Just made us smile as it sunds a bit funny.

They had loads of other stuff though, that sounded much tastier. For example we brought some Yakitori chicken with us home, and some chicken in batter, so we're going to deep fry that before we go out tonight. We also bought a little book (ish) with chinese recipes (see pic below), so I'm going to go through that properly in a bit and see what to try first. The Spicy Chicken on the page in the photo sounds nice! We bought a heap of sauces and stuff as well so we can use that whenwe cook. Next time we're back there we're getting a proper wok pan as well as the ones they had were resonably priced.


We did not, however, find what we were really looking for, which is the spice mix Yang and Yidan gave me i Karlstad. I still haven't found a single place who sells them, online or in stores. The search goes on I guess... If you have any idea where I might find it though, please send me a message! I love this spice and we're down to our last bag...

Had a poke around inn Matalan as well while we were in Birmingham and I bought a couple of jumpers and a hoodie to help me keep warm. Rob is getting worried about my cold hands now and was saying earlier I need to see a doctor about my bad circulation. I told him let's wait and see what happens when I lose the weight I need to and see if it gets better. It might just be because I'm overweight... I don't know. I hope it gets better though because some days my fingers get so cold they hurt and it's so very annoying. I shouldn't have to wear gloves inside. Anyway. Going to go and make myself useful. Put my jumpers in the closet... When Rob's back from watching Rugby we're cooking and then I'm treating him to the new Bond film :) Going to be a good night I think!

Huggles
Saga xx

No comments:

Post a Comment