Friday 21 September 2012

I survived the NHS :D

This morning I had an appointment at the surgery for a health check-up, and when I made the appointment on tuesday Rob said something along the lines of "they will take a blood test" and that was the start of my anxiety building up. Most of those who know me know I have a terrible phobia for needles. So that kicked right in and I really got myself woorked up about this blood test I was about to have. I got so worked up I was about to pass out in the waiting room before they even called me in to see the doctor.So imagine my relief when they called me in and the doctor said she was only going to take height, weight, blood pressure and medical history. We even had a laugh about how silly I was and what a bastard my boyfriend is for scaring me senseless! ;)

Yesterday I mentioned I had a little something planned for that evening, and when he got home from work Rob asked me about it. I told him it was a surprise and he wasn't allowed to open the fridge. So we sat down and had a really nice chicken Tikka Masala with pilau rice and garlic & coriander naan bread (om nom nom) and then we relocated  to the sofa and I brought Rob the dessert I had made for us; Trifle! I know Rob has said he loves trifle and I've never made it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Trifle can be made in soooo many different ways (just google it and see for yourself), it's basically like cake, but in a bowl and without all the fancy decorations. The way I understand it, it always contains some sort of cake (I used half a batch of regular sponge cake), fruit or berries (I used fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, and raspberry preserve (jam)) and some sort of cream, like whipped cream or custard (which I opted for). You can still get fresh strawberries, grown in the UK, here and they're only ca £0.40 per 100grams! Im seriously impressed. Some people like to sprinkle some sherry or whatever kind of liqeur they may have handy, over the cake to make it moist and give it some more flavour.

When you have all the ingredients you want/need you simply layer them up in a glass bowl so you can see the layers through the glass :) Mine doesn't look so tidy... But still nice though. I also made some caramelized pecan nuts (no recipe here, I just went with what I had - i.e. caster sugar and some Monin caramel syrup for drinks, worked out so well) to top it off with. Rob was very impressed :) It did taste good, I have to admit that. Still some left in the fridge and I have had a taste of it today as well, but will save the rest of it for Rob to have for pudding tonight.

Now, I'm off to the store in a bit to stock up on some more of those curry sauces - they were really good!
Oh, and btw! Remember you can Skype me :) I'm at home most of the time on weekdays, so if I'm not online just ask me on Facebook to log in or text me if you have my UK number and maybe we can talk for a bit?


Talk to you later!
Huggles
Saga xx

No comments:

Post a Comment